(NAY PYI TAW, 20 Dec, 2007)
- Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Senior General Than Shwe yesterday inspected Myogyi Multi-purpose Dam Project being implemented in Ywangan Township, Shan State (South), and Yeywa Hydropower Project being implemented near Ye-yaman Village, south-east of Mandalay, in Mandalay Division.
- Senior General Than Shwe, together with SPDC Member General Thura Shwe Mann, SPDC members Lt-Gen Ye Myint, Lt-Gen Kyaw Win and Lt-Gen Tin Aye, Commander-in-Chief (Navy) Vice-Admiral Soe Thein, Commander-in-Chief (Air) Lt-Gen Myat Hein, Lt-Gen Myint Hlaing, Lt-Gen Ye Myint and Maj-Gen Khin Zaw of the Ministry of Defence, Adjutant-General Maj-Gen Thura Myint Aung, commanders of commands, the ministers, the chairman of Magway Division PDC, and officials of the SPDC Office, arrived by helicopter at Myogyi Multi-purpose Dam Project site at 9.30 am.
- Senior General Than Shwe and party went to Yeywa hydropower project by helicopter.
- Minister for Electric Power No 1 Col Zaw Min reported on the project. He said the project is being undertaken by No 2 Construction of Hydropower Project Implementation Department. Roller compacted concrete dam, 2,264 feet long and 433 feet high, is being built on Myitnge River.The 790 megawatts project can generate 3,550 million kilowatt hours yearly.The minister also explained completion of diversion tunnel and approach tunnels, construction of intake structure, the main dam, spillways, laying of steel pipelines, construction of power station and progress of work.
- Next, Deputy Minister for Electric Power No 1 U Myo Myint reported on laying of pipelines and systematic inspection in construction of power station.The deputy minister said the Senior General had given guidance on exploration of hydro power resources along Myitnge River. Deputy Minister U Myo Myint reported on data of Pyaungsho hydropower project to be implemented on Namtu River (Myitnge River) near Yaydwingyi Village, 32 miles south of Nawnghkio Township in accord in his guidance, survey, findings and preparations.
- Next, Minister for Science and Technology U Thaung and Minister for Construction Maj-Gen Saw Tun reported on construction of short cut road linking Yeywa hydropower project site and Kyaukse Township and progress of work.
- In this connection, Senior General Than Shwe said the project contributes towards the national development and raising the standard of living of the people. He spoke of the need to complete the project systematically as soon as possible.
- Senior General Than Shwe presented fruit baskets to consultant engineer Mr Ljubomir Djordjevic of Colenco Power Engineering Ltd, project manager Mr Ye Zhijiang of China Gezhouba Group Corporation and Director U Myint Zaw of No 2 Construction of Hydropower Project Implementation Department.
- Senior General Than Shwe and party inspected production of sample concrete core. They observed thermometer, barometer and scale model of Yeywa Hydropower Project. He inspected progress of work on the site and construction of approach tunnel. They then went through the tunnel.Diversion tunnel No 1 and No 2, laying of concrete of diversion structure and earth work of the switch yard have been completed cent per cent.