(Nay Pyi Taw, 31 Jan, 2008)
- Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council Lt-Gen Thiha Thura Tin Aung Myint Oo, accompanied by SPDC member Lt-Gen Kyaw Win of the Ministry of Defence, Lt-Gen Myint Hlaing of the Ministry of Defence, Chairman of Shan State (East) PDC Commander of Triangle Region Command Maj-Gen Min Aung Hlaing, Minister for Mines Brig-Gen Ohn Myint, Minister for Electric Power No 1 Col Zaw Min, Minister for Electric Power No 2 Maj-Gen Khin Maung Myint, Deputy Minister for Health Dr Mya Oo, Deputy Minister for Home Affairs Brig-Gen Phone Swe and officials of the SPDC Office and departmental heads, arrived at the site of Kengtawng Hydropower Project on 30 January morning, they proceeded to the site of Kengtawng Hydropower Project being implemented by Hydropower Projects Implementation Department on Namtein Creek, 30 miles northeast of Mongnai of Langkho District. They were welcomed by Chairman of Shan State PDC Commander of Eastern Command Maj-Gen Thaung Aye and officials.
- At the briefing hall, Minister Col Zaw Min reported that Kengtawng Hydropower Project is being implemented for generating more electricity and supplying more power to Shan State in accord with the guidance of the Head of State. The project will generate 54 megawatts or 472 million kwh yearly. Construction of the diversion dam-1, the diversion dam-2, the power intake building, the inlet channel, the channels, the water tanks and many other tasks of the project have been completed. In addition, the laying of pre-stressed pipelines is completed 65 per cent and the construction of the power station 80 per cent. The plan is under way to complete implementing of the whole project in mid-2008.
- The minister continued to report that the Upper Kengtawng Hydropower Project is also being implemented with the aims of supplying hydropower to Loilem and Langkho districts and to support the surplus to the national grid. The project will produce 52.5 megawatts.
- Minister Maj-Gen Khin Maung Myint also submitted the reports that the preparations are being made for supply of 54 megawatts of hydropower from Kengtawng Hydropower Plant to townships of Loilem and Langkho districts in Shan State (South) through Namsang Power Station and the electricity surplus to the remaining regions through Namsang-Pinpet-Kalaw 132 KV power line. Tasks are being carried out for installation of Kengtawng-Namsang, Namsang-Pinpet, Namsang-Loilem and Namsang-Mongnai power lines, construction of power stations in Namsang, Loilem and Mongnai, and installation of power lines such as Mongnai-Maukmai and Langkho-Mongpan and the power line from Kengtawng Hydropower Plant to Kangtawng. In addition, power stations are being built in Mongnai, Maukmai, Langkho, Mongpan and Kengtawng. Arrangements are being made to supply power to the townships through the national grid as one generator of Kengtawng Power Plant is in operation to generate power.
- After hearing the reports, the Secretary-1 stressed the need to complete the Kengtawng Hydropower Project and the Upper Kengtawng Hydropower Project on schedule and set the plans to supply electricity to the regions and systematically use power in accord with the guidance of the Head of State.
- The Secretary-1 presented a fruit basket to Project manager Mr Wu Jing De of the project.
- The Secretary-1 and party looked into Nantein creek (Kengtawng waterfall) and power station, and scale model of Kengtawng hydel power station project and gave necessary instructions. They inspected the progress of construction of the project.