(Nay Pyi Taw, 13 Dec, 2008)
- Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Senior General Than Shwe inspected Yeywa hydro-power project work being implemented on the Myitnge River to the southeast of Mandalay in Mandalay Division on 10 December.
- Senior General Than Shwe, accompanied by member of the State Peace and Development Council General Thura Shwe Mann of the Ministry of Defence, SPDC member Lt-Gen Tin Aye, Commander-in-Chief (Navy) Rear-Admiral Nyan Tun, Commander-in-Chief (Air) Lt-Gen Myat Hein, Maj-Gen Ohn Myint, Maj-Gen Min Aung Hlaing, Lt-Gen Khin Zaw, Lt-Gen Myint Hlaing, Lt-Gen Ye Myint, Maj-Gen Hla Htay Win and Maj-Gen Maung Shein of the Ministry of Defence, chairmen of Mandalay Division, Sagaing Division and Shan State (North) Peace and Development Councils, the ministers, senior military officers and officials of the SPDC Office, arrived at the Yeywa hydropower project site near Ye-Yaman Village at 12.45 p.m.
- At the briefing hall, Minister for Electric Power No. 1 Col Zaw Min reported to the Senior General and party saying that Yeywa hydropower project is the project of the State that will generate 790 megawatts and 3,550 million kilowatts hours yearly. The roller compacted concrete main dam with 2,264 feet in length and 433 feet in height is being built on the Myitnge River and the construction has been completed by almost cent per cent.
- Minister Col Zaw Min also reported on progress in construction of the diversion tunnel and inlet and outlet, intake structure and spillway, installation of penstock and building of power station and switch yard, completion of the project as scheduled and arrangements being made for storing water in the dam in the coming rainy season.
- Managing Director Dr San Oo of Myanma Electric Power Enterprise under the Ministry of Electric Power No. 2 reported on construction of Yeywa-Belin (Kyaukse) 230 KV power line, Yeywa-Meiktila 230 KV power line and Belin-Meiktila 230 KV power line for supply of 790 megawatts from Yeywa hydropower station to the National Grid, construction of sub-power stations and power supply tasks of Belin-Shwesaryan 230 KV power line and Meiktila-Thazi 230 KV power line.
- In response to the reports, Senior General Than Shwe said Yeywa Hydropower Project is a large-scale project of the State. As the project is nearing completion, all the step-by-step tasks of the project need to be done carefully. Moreover, efforts are to be made for fully tapping of water resources of the Myitnge River. As the tasks for supply of electricity are being implemented, the work for distributing power to the consumers also needs to be done as scheduled. Power supply tasks are to be carried out systematically without any loss and wastage, said the Senior General.
- Next, Senior General Than Shwe presented gifts to the responsible personel of Colenco Power Engineering Ltd and China Gezhouba Group Corporation and the staff of Construction Group-2 of Hydropower Department, who are participating in the Yeywa project.
- The Senior General and party viewed the construction work from the viewing deck of the briefing hall. He also looked into the project site, construction of Yeywa water tank, laying of RCC concrete on the main dam, construction of the power station and spillway and digging of the canal.
- Of the major tasks of the project, construction of diversion tunnel Nos 1 and 2 and the spillway has completed cent-per-cent and RCC main dam will be completed very soon. The whole project has been completed by 67.32 per cent.