(NAY PYI TAW, 21 April, 2010)
- Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council Commander-in- Chief of Defence Services Senior General Than Shwe inspected progress of Upper Yeywa Hydropower Project and factories in Yatanarpon Myothit Project on 15 April.
- Accompanied by Member of the State Peace and Development Council General Thura Shwe Mann, the Commander-in-Chief (Navy), the Commander-in-Chief (Air), senior military officers of the Ministry of Defence, the Chairman of Mandalay Division PDC Commander of Central Command, the Chairman of Shan State (North) PDC Commander of North-East Command, the ministers and officials, Senior General Than Shwe arrived at the Upper Yeywa Hydropower Project being implemented by Ministry of Electric Power No. 1 near Taungchay Village of Kyaukme Township at 1 pm.
- The Senior General viewed progress of ground work with the use of heavy machinery at the main embankment. He also looked into the boulder excavation.* At the briefing hall, Minister for Electric Power No. 1 Col Zaw Min reported on the aim of implementing the project, progress of task, location of Yeywa Hydropower Project and Upper Yeywa Hydropower Project on Myitnge River, construction of approach roads, conditions of main embankment, diversion tunnel, spillway, power intake structure, power intake tunnel, penstock tunnel, generating capacity for the project and yearly implementation of project tasks.In his guidance, the Senior General stressed the need to timely complete the Upper Yeywa Hydropower Project as the personnel have work experiences in Yeywa Hydropower Project.
- Upper Yeywa Hydropower Project is located on Myitnge River, near Taungchay Village, 20 miles south of Kyaukme, Shan State (North). It is located 80 miles upstream of the already completed Yeywa dam.
- By storing water from Myitnge and Namlam rivers, No. 2 Construction of Hydropower Planning Department of the Ministry of Electric Power No. 1 is implementing the project with the aims of generating hydropower, supplying water to Yeywa Dam from Upper Yeywa Hydropower Plant on completion and developing the region.
- The Senior General and party were welcomed by Deputy Minister for Electric Power No. 1 U Myo Myint, senior military officers and officials.